The term “yoga” is used to describe a comprehensive practice and a way of life. It is estimated to be at least 5,000 years old, originating in India and brought to the west in the 1920s (Joshi, 2018). Yoga has been described as the ancient Indian science of self-realization, or the ancient science of self-culture. Or as the renowned sage, Patanjali, puts it, yoga is “a method to stop thought waves” (Yogamandiram, 2017).

Does that quote sound familiar? I chose to focus on yoga this week because it is a skill/activity that directly links to mindfulness. We have been learning a lot about yoga, and the many benefits it provides, over the past couple of weeks in P.E. Here is what I have learned so far:

Yoga:

• is more than just fitness and flexibility
  • provides strength and stability
  • helps with expression and self-regulation
  • promotes positive mental health
  • improves attention and memory
  • alleviates stress
  • reduces anxiety and tension
  • can be individual or social
  • breathing helps to calm the mind, body and soul

All of this sounds incredible! I have been practicing yoga, on-and-off for years, but haven’t really considered all of the amazing benefits that it provides-for adults and children. There is a type of yoga that is specifically called, “Yoga for Mindfulness,” but I think that all yoga practices can increase awareness of self and ultimately mindfulness.

Yoga in the Classroom

Practicing yoga in the classroom is increasingly becoming popular, and I can see why. Bullying, stress and anxiety are on the rise amongst students and studies have shown that yoga is a great way to counteract these behaviors and feelings. It helps to cultivate social, emotional, and physical health-all things that we want for our students. Incorporating yoga into our classrooms and daily practice is an easy way to engage students and build a positive classroom community.

Yoga Practices and Games that Can Be Used in the Classroom

This is a cool game that I came across. You create a circle with yoga mats and place a yoga pose card in front of each mat. Music plays while students jump from mat to mat. Once the music stops, students need to perform the pose that is in front of the mat that they land on. Very musical chairs like and provides lots of opportunities for modifications (ex. spacing, beginner to advanced poses.)

Cosmic Kids Yoga (a huge hit with my kids!) The woman who runs these programs has a positive and infectious personality. She also incorporates many popular games, movies and T.V. shows-which helps to engage kids/students.

I will continue to incorporate yoga into my mindfulness and wellness routine. I also really look forward to practicing yoga in my future classrooms and introducing my students to the many benefits that yoga provides.

Sources:

Ribiero, M. (2020). What is Mindful Yoga? 4 Poses+Yoga retreats. Retrieved from:  https://positivepsychology.com/mindfulness-yoga/